Travelling Spants

Friday, February 17, 2006

1 month down, 6 more to go

Ok, so we've moved on. We're now in Recife, but let me back up just a minute. We ended up staying in Jericoacoara for a little longer than expected, 10 days. It was just too sweet to leave. The pousada we stayed in for most of our time there ended up being even cheaper because the owner was so nice. On our last day there, i go to pay her and she says, '8 nights? Lets just make it 50 reales a night instead of 55.' umm...ok. Heres our place: We spent the week with much of the same previously mentioned: beach, eating, kite surfing (for brett), a little sanddune jumping, and meeting some people. That sanddune in the background of the picture made for a great location to watch the sunset, which bizarrely enough faced westwards.
Turns out that one of bretts sister's previous roommates was living there (very coincidental since Jeri is a tiny fishing village) and brett ran into him one day while walking around town. we went out with him (nick - far left) and his girlfriend, alini, for dinner then met up with some friends later on (thats hugh jass on the far right). More so at night rather than during the day, animals roamed the sandy roads and i got a kick out of that. Brett and i went on a walk down the beach a little outside of town and found tons of rocks near the water covered in tiny mussels. Brett also did more sanddune jumping. On one of our last nights there, i gave brett a haircut. Sorry schneider, but this one turned out pretty good. After spending over $100 US trying to withdraw money from an ATM very very far away via dune buggy, motorcycle, and vw-type bus (dont ask, its a sore subject), we left Jeri for Canoa Quebrada on Tuesday. It was a very romantic 6 hour bus ride on good ol valentines day. Our v-day dinner was very good and cheap (only $30US for 2 apps, entrees, 4 drinks, waters, and dessert) and i was lucky enough to be serenaded by a U2 album for most of it. Awesome. Luckily, they also threw in a little barry white and jack johnson to really round out the evening. Canoa's beach was very nice and was made up of shallow pools for us to lie in, as well as large enough waves to ride in. The 2nd day we were there, we were able to watch these fisherman haul in and gut their catch of the day. It was a 200 lb fish called Kamaru Pim and they also brought in some rather large sting rays. Of course this was the day we failed to bring a camera so we took a scale back with us and took a picture of that. Kel this pic's for you. If the drink didnt have an umbrella in it, i threw it back in the waiters face. So we stayed in Canoa for 3 days and today made our way down to Recife. It was another lovely 11 hour bus ride. We're staying with Tracy's boyfriend's family (bretts sister) and after just a few hours, it already feels so good to be in a home again. The family is super nice and when we got back to the house with the dad from the bus station, the mom was sporting a little feather headdress for the party they were going to. Apparently carnaval festivities began in january, but for us, day 1 is tomorrow.

16 Comments:

  • At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey.. It's Ash and Theile. Just read your newest blog, still jealous. We're enjoying the 50 degree weather and rain here in good 'ole so-cal. No Henno's gossip except whore (as hil refers to her) is talking shit about me eventhough I haven't worked there for about 2 months, and Bee is moving in with Hildo. Same old shit, different day. You are much missed and keep enjoying the 'deep south' for all of us back here!!

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Bishai said…

    awesome update. I think the donkey in the street is my favorite pic. I like how brett is kite surfin' and sand dune jumpin' his way through south america.

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's Leo. I'm not gonna go on and on about how jealous I am.. that only makes your trip that much sweeter. But I will say its good to see that you two are having a blast. Same stuff here....

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger thealphafelines said…

    It's really cold in chicago. I wish I had a cool way to say it like mid ill... so cal. Anyway Gary and my bedroom window is cracked so when we need ice we can just chip it off of the inside of our window. I wouldn't be jealous of you guys if we had snow, but we don't so I am. Keep throwing drinks in waiters faces, make me proud. you know how I feel about people in the service industry.

     
  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Jeff Schneider said…

    I want to get free! So let me get this straight, you turn me into the vines lead singer but everyone else gets an amazing designer cut. Maybe I should have paid you money instead of buying you a sixpack of beer. I just thought thats the only way your fingers could turn into scissors and 30 seconds later in a flurry of hair and fingernails my hair styled. You'll be happy to know that I gave myself a haircut last night for the first time in my life and cut it all off. Its a little spotty but the price is right. Man that trip looks great. Do you think I could come over and stay with Bretts family too? I love that picture of you taunting the donkey. Just come a little closer...whammo!

    In other news my word verification was poopogy. No lion, its the truth! Poopogy: the study of scat.

     
  • At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you guys may be in paradise, having never ending fun, but i'm watching a hilarious episode of King of the Hill right now, so suck it. not jealous? hmmm.

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hugh jass.... common, i can't leave this one alone. hope he's a friend!

    sounds like a terrible time, brett, when you said dune jumping i'm thinking in a buggy. no, your really "jumping" down dunes, hmmmm, will have to bring this up at the next desert trip.

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm confused by so cal's comment up there. ?

    Anyway, my favorite pic is the one of slanted Brett. He's got such strong calves.

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    i think youre referring to the hennesseys talk (where we used to work). about the pic, brett dug his feet as far as he could into the sand and the next day, we read the guidebook and it said, you should wear shoes when walking around because of the feet-burrowing parasites hiding in the sand. ill let you know if we have to amputate

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just pee on his feet...urine works the same on those parasites as it does on jellyfish bites.

     
  • At 3:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    ruby, again, I am sorry I haven't written in a long time, or updated our blog. I MISS YOU! Anyway what made me realize that more is Tyler and Talbit and Josanna and I were sitting around drinking and Josanna was talking about her ears sticking out and I digressed into this long story about how you have to have your ears tucked into your low pony tail/braid. Everyone kind of nodded and then started conversation about something else. Meanwhile I thought, wow that is kind of wierd that I went into such a long story that would interest (lets face it) absolutely no one. I have to talk to you!!! I will email. On a side note, how would you feel about me meeting you guys down there at some point. On another side note, I just took a flight lesson today in a 172 Cessna.

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    why do so many people spell weird wrong, its ei not ie you sum bitches...

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you're taking flying lessons cindy? well, say hi to John Denver for me when you meet him.

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    for the record: down means up and up means down.

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That John Denver's full of shit.

    Cindy...how on earth are you taking flying lessons? I thought you were deathly afraid of flying?!

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    thats what i thought too, but since cindy chooses not to respond to emails, we can only conclude that shes leading a double life in california and theres no one there to spy on her for us

     

Post a Comment

<< Home